D.C.’s expanded sick leave requirements became effective March 7, but employers have until a statement of its fiscal effect is published in the D.C. Register. Nevertheless, D.C. employers should begin to update their policies. Key aspects of the amended law include:
- No changes to the minimum amount of paid sick days that must be provided (i.e., 7 days for employers with 100+ employees; 5 days for employers with 25-99 employees; and 3 days for employers with 24 or less employees)
- Expansion of coverage/entitlement to any employee, not just those who worked 1,000 in the 12 months prior to the need for leave
- Expansion of coverage to co-employers
- Expansion of penalties for non-compliance
- Leave may be taken for multiple purposes, including care of a sick family member and reasons related to domestic violence, sex abuse and stalking
Read more about the law here.